October 4, 2013 § 4 Comments

 As I sit to write I can hear the rhythmic tick-tocking of two of my clocks. One in the kitchen and one in the living room. They seem to be two-stepping to a tune unsung. The significance of each second goes ultimately unnoticed as seconds turn into minutes, and minutes morph into months.



Timing has effected us big time throughout this adoption process.

When we first started the process, things were going quickly. People were completing the process and getting their children home in under 1 year. We were within 2 months of submitting our paperwork to make this type of timeframe. (Well hoo ever really knows, right?) Then things came to a screeching halt for referrals. And we waited for over 648,000 seconds for a referral. That is more time than the whole process was previously taking.

Plot Twist


The last couple of weeks have been very eventful for us. Let’s take a close look at our timeline:

09/20/13 – Two weeks ago, this Friday, our daughter’s visa was approved by the Canadian Embassy (CIC) in Nairobi. 

We start making travel plans.

09/21/13 – The very next day Islamic militants claim the lives of 67 people in a terrorist attack on a mall in Nairobi.

09/23/13 – On Monday we receive notice that the CIC is closed and will only resume working at a minimum. One of their staff had been tragically killed in the attack.

09/24/13 – Our documents miss going out in the weekly diplomatic mail to the embassy in Kinshasa due to the closure.

09/27/13 – The DRC Immigration authorities announce they are suspending issuance of exit permits to adoptees. This means that we will not be able to bring Z home yet as she will need this exit letter in order to leave the country. According to the inter-country adoption notice, this suspension is for 2 weeks up to 12 months.

*Wide spread panic amongst those in the DRC adoption process.

10/03/13 – Our agency sends out an email saying that they are not advising any of their clients to travel due to the suspension.

It has been 2 weeks since we got word that we are set to go. What a wild 2 weeks! So currently we are still getting our travel plans in order in the hope that this ban is lifted, or that cases that are as far along as ours will be let through.

Two weeks to 12 months is a pretty vague timeframe. Is there any way at all that we can make good on more waiting (we were so close!) ?

True, God made everything beautiful in itself and in its time—but he’s left us in the dark, so we can never know what God is up to, whether he’s coming or going. I’ve decided that there’s nothing better to do than go ahead and have a good time and get the most we can out of life. That’s it—eat, drink, and make the most of your job. It’s God’s gift. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

Squeeze the day,



Tagged: ,

§ 4 Responses to Timing

  • Darren says:

    International adoption… anything but predictable. Here’s hoping and praying this suspension of issuing of DCR exit permits is as short lived as the last one (spring 2013).

  • Faith says:

    I’m so glad that you have your daughter’s visa!! Hope that you will be able to go claim her soon. Those still waiting are happy for the good news of others and that their and your long journey’s will soon be over. Rejoice with those who Rejoice!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading Timing at Hooz Hooz.


%d bloggers like this: